20-25 November 2016: Catalysis, An Integrated Approach (CAIA course)
Date : 20 - 25 November 2016
Venue : Schiermonnikoog. Information on directions will be uploaded soon.
Download the CAIA course flyer here.
…a fascinating discipline
NIOK, the Dutch school of research in catalysis, with some 200 PhD students involved in research, offers the opportunity to gain a deeper insight into various aspects of this fascinating discipline: fundamental, theoretical, homogeneous, heterogeneous, industrial catalysis and biocatalysis. The main theme of this course is the molecular approach of catalysis in view of its applications, from catalyst preparation and characterization to reactor engineering.
The course is designed for graduates and polytechnic (HBO) levels, either as a first introduction or as a refresher course. Especially graduates preparing a doctoral dissertation related to catalysis are potential attendants, but also those who are already working in industry and feel the need to deepen their insights into catalytic processes.
Subjects to be treated
- history of catalysis: homogeneous, heterogeneous and biocatalysis
- chemical and technological aspects of a number of important industrial processes.
These processes will also form the framework for the subjects to be treated in the fundamental and
applied parts of the course.
- chemical kinetics of catalyzed reactions
- chemical bonding to surfaces, in metal complexes and in enzymes
- elementary reaction steps in catalysis
- kinetic and mechanistic processes of catalysis
- catalytic reaction engineering
- preparation of catalyst supports including zeolites
- preparation of supported catalysts
- rapid screening techniques and backgrounds
- spectroscopic techniques
- temperature programmed techniques
- adsorption methods
Modern developments seen from two angles:
- from the process technology side: more efficient and cleaner processes
- from the theoretical side: development of fundamental catalysis towards an independent science
within chemistry and physics.
Heterogeneous Catalysis - Prof.dr.ir. E. Hensen, Eindhoven University of Technology
Homogeneous Catalysis - Prof.dr. B. Klein Gebbink, Utrecht University
Reaction Engineering & Kinetics - Prof.dr.ir. F. Kapteijn, Delft University of Technology
Biocatalysis - Dr. F. Hollmann, Delft University of Technology
Materials & Catalyst Preparation - Prof.dr. K.P. de Jong, Utrecht University
Characterization/Spectroscopy - Prof.dr. G. Mul, University of Twente
Industrial Catalysis - to be announced
Evening program - Prof.dr. J.H. Bitter, Wageningen UR
Place and time
The course is held on the island Schiermonnikoog. The lectures take place in “Het Dorpshuis”, Torenstreek 18a.
Lodging is in Hotel Van der Werff, Reeweg 2, Schiermonnikoog.
The course starts Sunday 20 November (afternoon arrival) and ends Friday 25 November after lunch.
The text book will be ‘Catalysis, an integrated approach‘, edited by Prof.dr. U. Hanefeld and Prof.dr.ir. L. Lefferts, with contributions from many experts.
There will be a test early 2017, in Utrecht. The test is obligatory for NIOK graduates. There are a number of requirements for obtaining the Certificate of Proficiency, one of them being completing the CAIA test. Consulting the text book during the test is permitted. (’open book test’).
A Certificate of Attendance is available. A Certificate of Proficiency is available for those who successfully take the test.
Obtaining the Certificate of Proficiency is one of the requirements that need to be met before NIOK graduates can apply for a NIOK diploma accompanying their doctor’s degree certificate. For the complete set of requirements please contact the NIOK office or ask your supervisor.
For (pre)registration (digital only) please click here.
Registration before July 1st 2016:
Graduate students and postdocs working with NIOK members € 650
All other graduate students and postdocs € 1000
All other participants* € 2800
Registration after Sept. 1st 2016:
Graduate students and postdocs working with NIOK members € 700
All other graduate students and postdocs € 1100
All other participants* € 3000
* VIRAN members have the right to send one employee of a member company’s own staff at a reduced rate of € 650/750.
The fee includes:
- (full board) accommodation (20 November arrival, 25 November departure);
- several course materials and hand-outs, not including the book
Cancellation fees are applicable:
- cancellation between 25 October – 8 November: 50% of the course fee.
- cancellation after 8 November: the full fee will be charged.
Prof.dr.ir. E. Hensen, Eindhoven University of Technology
Prof.dr. Kees Elsevier (course coordination)
Mrs. Ineke Weijer (organization)
HIMS University of Amsterdam
P.O. Box 94157
1090 GD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Tel +31 20 525 6454 (IW) or 5653 (KE)